A major automotive supplier was having trouble controlling the thickness of the sheet material they produced. Typically, thickness measurements were done manually with a hand caliper, at specified times throughout the production run. Looking for a better solution, this customer contacted KEYENCE for assistance.
It was determined that there were two major problems with the current method of measurement.
- First, the measurements being done by hand were very inconsistent. The material being measured was not rigid, and thus the measurements varied as the amount of force applied to the micrometer by the operators changed.
- Second, the process problems that caused the thickness variation occurred very quickly, and the current “spot checking” method uncovered the problem often times too late. Thousands of dollars worth of “out of spec” material had been produced, only to be scrapped.
After an initial consultation visit by KEYENCE factory-trained sales engineers, it was determined that KEYENCE's LK-G series CCD laser displacement sensor would be the best solution to the customer's problem. The LK-G series is a high accuracy, non-contact, laser triangulation displacement sensor with many features and benefits that would eliminate the customer's problems:
- High accuracy measurement: +/- 10um linearity (with dual head LK-G37 configuration)
- High speed measurement: Up to 50kHZ sampling, ensuring 100% inspection in real time
- Multi-functional controller: Able to process and display data from two sensor heads, and output overall thickness
- Non contact: Due to the non contact triangulation measurement principle, the product will not be deformed during measurement
- High accuracy regardless of material color, texture, etc.
- Multiple outputs: Digital, analog, serial, USB. Can be used for local alarm, and/or data collection purposes
Three months after the first system was installed, there were significant improvements in the scrap rate and defect rate. The cost savings on the scrap alone justified the purchase of the LK-G system within 4 months! In addition, the customer began collecting the thickness measurement data, and was able to correlate the thickness changes with other problems, earlier in the production process. The customer was so impressed with the KEYENCE thickness measurement system that they plan on implementing duplicate systems on their other 4 production lines within the next 2 years.
The LK-G Series detects the thickness of various sheet materials such as films, rubber sheets, or bonded textiles within a production line.